Tag: roof

Framework

Possibly the most exciting change to date. At least half of the roof has come off and the framework for the dormer has gone up. Here’s a quick before and after:

IMG_20170405_115317
Old and busted
20170428_112659
New hotness

This view is looking out from our ‘Landing’, which we’ll be using as a sort of reading nook, toward the garden. So where the old gable can still be seen will become doors onto our balcony. We’re going to have our own balcony?!

From the look of the tarpaulin on the right side of the picture it seems they haven’t yet done the same work on the bedroom side, but I expect that’ll be up soon enough.

Advertisements

Going up

The major work upstairs has started in the last week – parts of the roof have been taken out and the wall that will split the bedroom and landing has been started. Our fabulous builders are reusing as much of the original material as they can, so this wall is mostly being built out of chimney.

We were there briefly during the week this week, so were able to meet with the electrician and talk through the rewiring as well as seeing recent progress. The electrics are a bit of a mixed set at the moment (“Have you got an outside socket?” “Well, there’s a socket outside.” “Umm, that’s just an extension lead.” “Ah.”) so we are having the whole house rewired to modern standards. This also includes moving most of the light switches as we have moved some doorways¬†and, because we’ve changed the use of rooms, will be changing which way doors open. Apparently we don’t need a shower pull in the middle of the kitchen either. It has been an interesting challenge trying to decide where we want plug sockets and lighting, especially with sockets in the kitchen, but we now have a plan to start with, even if it gets adjusted nearer the time.

DSC_0015 (Medium)
The light switch next to that ex-doorway probably isn’t so useful any more.

Stairway to Heaven (well, the loft)

IMG-20170313-WA0000More photos have made their way to us and we were pleased to see that the loft ladder has now been installed in the ‘den’ which will become my office. Access to the storage space was previously via a small hatch in the upstairs bedroom. This will become our new bathroom and we didn’t want to waste the available space in there, so Sarah had the great idea of installing a loft hatch for access from below.

We have also heard that the scaffolding has gone up around the rear of the building now, so hopefully work on the upper part of the project will be able to commence shortly.

IMG-20170313-WA0002One change that caused great amusement to Stuart my father-in-law, was the addition of a wheelbarrow to the dining room.

We shall be heading up North ourselves at the beginning of April to attend a friend’s wedding, so we’ll be spending a few days at the house too and see the changes for ourselves.